Friday, July 22, 2005

Let's get this started

Here comes my hat into the ring of the whole blogger fad. It's as well that it's a metaphorical hat and a metaphorical ring as I look terrible in hats and don't particularly like circuses. I have been meaning to start blogging for some time now but, as usual, my entry into this latest fad is sorely belated.

I suppose it's just normal for me to be late to the party: Lazer Tag, Banana Republic animal-printed T-shirts, off-the-shoulder suspenders, Transformers . . . I'm sure there are more.

Anyway, I suppose what finally kicked off this "burst" of motivation to start blogging was a series of emails sent by my friends in which I realized that sheer laziness was a stupid reason not to begin given the mainstream status of blogging in general.

Here's my portion of that email:

I'm always tempted to start a blog of my own, but my life is so prosaic that i'm always concerned there's nothing to talk about. On those rare occasions i make an interesting observation, however, i always wish i could write about it. But then, i don't have a blog set up and i'm too lazy to do so.
For instance, today, on my way to my contract assignment, i walked under the third st. / i-80 bridge on the way from the train station. This underpass is not unusual to me, as i walk through it every day - twice every day even. But strangely, this morning it literally smelled like a hamster cage. I suppose some combination of prolific and unwashed vagrants and the nearby construction created that strange brew of wood chips, dirty hair, dander, dust and a dab of feces in the air. For some reason, when the hair, feces and dander belong to a small rodent, it's less nauseous. I suppose it has something to do with the old Carpenter's song, "Bless the beasts and the children / For in this world ... they have no choice ..."
As for custard, isn't the reason they call it custard because they put a whole bunch of egg yolks in it? I saw a program a while back about custard places in New Jersey and New York - but I suppose it might be a whole east coast thing. In any case, the Willow Glen ice cream place was really good - but considering it was technically San Jose, I had a major case of (ask [my friend]) "I see white people..." In my recollection, [my friend] and I were the only asian people, and of the large crowd (50+) there, there were maybe two or three other non-white patrons. Combined with the relatively high humidity, i was reminded of many places i've been, none of which were "home."



The custard reference was in response to my friend's blog' ("Miscellaneous and Useless Information") July 14th entry. There's nothing like a cool custard ice cream on a warm summer San Jose night.


Anyway, we'll see how long this goes on.

No comments: