Saturday, June 02, 2007

Assume the fetal position! The Horror. The Horror.


So. I'm driving home from the gym in my shorts and synthetic fabric t-shirt and I experienced one of the most viscerally terrifying experiences in my adult life. I'm on 101, driving with the windows down, caterwauling along to "All things 'The Beatles'" on KFOG (tangent: 40 years of Sgt. Pepper! w00t!) and all of a sudden ~ DING!!! *an impact noise and something flies across my vision*.

It's a poor bumblebee! aw cute thing. Too bad it's probably dead. Oh. It's moving a little ~ probably death throes. Oh look, here's a stop light, I'll grab it with this Kleenex(R) and drop it out the window to return to Mother Earth. Or Auntie Asphalt or wutever. And the Circle of Life will be complete!


I snag it, and as I lift it to the window, it buzzes its way out of the Kleenex(R) and falls in my CROTCH. AAAAUGH!!!! I swear, I think my lads almost retreated up into my nose. I'm at the light, practically hyperventilating from the imagined unholy interface between arthropod and private parts, when finally it lifts off from under my butt and flies out of the window.


Some of you may scorn my reactions as disproportionate to the threat, but until you have a piercing object and the will to use it poised less than an inch from your twig and berries, you can't honestly say how you'll react.