Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Transformers possibly not horrible?

With the Independence Day weekend (huzzah, America!) upon us, I've been reading reviews for movies on the off chance that a movie might be the escape-tool of choice for my friends and family. I've never been a fan of the idea of a live-action Transformers movie; there's no way you can top the Transformers movie from 1984 (or wutever) in my mind. [music] You've got the TOUCH! You've got the POWER!!! [/music]

But I'm reading the reviews anyway because some of my friends have expressed interest in it. I normally like Roger Ebert's reviews a lot because he writes about movies very well and generally has valid points even if I don't agree with his overall review. Often he cues me in to some movie arcania. For instance, in the Transformer's review, he says, "... Megatron crash-landed near the North Pole a century ago and possesses the Allspark, which is the key to something, I'm not sure what, but since it's basically an alien MacGuffin it doesn't much matter. (Note to fanboys about to send me an e-mail explaining the Allspark: Look up "MacGuffin" in Wikipedia.)"

Now, I have no idea what the "Allspark" is. It sounds like some baking ingredient, but for semiconductor doping or something. But looking up MacGuffin in wikipedia shows that the users have already added Ebert's reference as an example. Hehe. Cute.